|West London Crematorium Gardens *||Hammersmith & Fulham|
* on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens
West London Crematorium is part of the Kensal Green Cemetery, which was founded in 1830. A further 9 hectares were added at the western end of the site in the late C19th, and it is here that the Crematorium was built in 1939. It has a circular bed in front and the gardens of rest are laid out as groups of rose beds surrounded by hedges.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Kensal Green Cemetery: Site on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens, for Register Entry see https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list
The Crematorium is part of the Kensal Green Cemetery (q.v), which was founded as a result of a successful long campaign to establish new cemeteries in London to replace the overcrowded churchyards throughout the capital, many of which were in a parlous state. London's population had increased, particularly as a result of the Industrial Revolution. Founded in 1830, the General Cemetery Company purchased a 22-hectare site bounded by Harrow Road to the north and the Grand Union Canal to the south. Established by Act of Parliament in 1832, Kensal Green Cemetery was London's first necropolis and remains in private ownership today, still administered by the General Cemetery Company who from the first wanted to create the cemetery as a park, 'a place of recreation that would be morally uplifting and edifying to the general populace'. The cemetery was consecrated in 1833 and by March 1834 the wall, gateway, lodges and Nonconformist chapel in the south-east corner had been completed. The Church of England chapel was built in 1836-7 and forms the central architectural feature in the cemetery. Catacombs were built along the north boundary wall.
See EH Register. John Archer, Daniel Keech 'Nature Conservation in Hammersmith & Fulham', Ecology Handbook 25, London Ecology Unit, 1993