|Albert Road Recreation Ground||Haringey|
Albert Road Recreation Ground was laid out in the early 1900s as the area was being developed for housing. The park was later extended and a tennis and bowling club was established in 1925, and other facilities included mini golf and a swimming pool. The pool closed in the 1980s and is now a garden centre.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.haringey.gov.uk; www.farrg.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Before the area was developed for housing, there was a clay pit and brickworks here in use until the early C20th. Before the park was laid out in the early 1900s it was open land that was already being used by local people for recreation. Albert Road Recreation Ground was originally smaller than it is today and had its main entrance on Clifton Road, but it was later extended to its current size. In the early 1920s Durnsford Road was laid out, and new recreational facilities were gradually provided in the park. In 1925 a tennis and bowling club was established for which a small pavilion was built, and a mini golf course was added. Prior to WWII, the park also had a small café but this closed soon after the war ended. A swimming pool was built in the early 1930s, which was bombed during WWII and later restored, but it eventually closed in the 1980s having become neglected. In 1991 the pool was purchased and transformed by the Sunshine Garden Centre, which is now active in supporting and sponsoring park activities in the borough.
The Friends of Albert Road Recreation Ground was set up 2001 and organises events in co-operation with the Council. The Pavilion Café has recently been revamped to provide changing and toilet facilities as well as a café, which is leased by Haringey Tennis, an organisation that manages and takes bookings for the park's recently improved tennis courts. Albert Road Recreation Ground has won a Green Flag Award in consecutive years since 2006.
Albert Road Recreation Ground Management Plan 2006-2010