London Gardens Online
Record
London Gardens Online

SITE DETAILS

Highgate School, Old Chapel and Burial Ground Haringey

Summary

Highgate School was founded as a grammar school by Sir Roger Cholmeley in 1565 through a Charter of Queen Elizabeth I. It later became a public school and expanded in the mid C19th. In 1865-67 the Gothic school buildings were built in Highgate Village, of which the hall and chapel survive, the latter built on the site of an earlier chapel at ease attached to the grammar school. The adjacent burial ground was used by Anglicans in Highgate before St Michael's Church was built in South Grove.

Basic Details

Previous / Other name:
Highgate Anglican Burial Ground

Site location:
North Road/Southwood Lane

Postcode:
N6 4AY ( Google Map)

Type of site:
Churchyard

Date(s):
?C18th

Designer(s):

Listed structures:
LBII: School Chapel, Old School Buildings, War Memorial

Borough:
Haringey

Site ownership:
The Highgate Foundation

Site management:
The Highgate Foundation

Open to public?
No

Opening times:
private, but visible through railings

Special conditions:

Facilities:

Events:
Highgate School Chapel and Big School has opened for London Open House

Public transport:
Tube: Highgate, Archway (Northern) then bus. Bus: 143, 210, 271, 214.

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.highgateschool.org.uk

Further Information

Grid ref:
TQ283875

Size in hectares:

Green Flag:
No

On EH National Register :
No

EH grade:
None

Site on EH Heritage at Risk list:
No

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No

In Conservation Area:
Yes

Conservation Area name:
Highgate

Tree Preservation Order:
Not known

Nature Conservation Area:
No

Green Belt:
No

Metropolitan Open Land:
No

Special Policy Area:
Yes - Area of Archaeological Importance

Other LA designation:
None

Fuller information

Highgate School was originally founded as a grammar school in Highgate Village in 1565 by Sir Roger Cholmeley, through a Charter of Queen Elizabeth I. In 1832 it was re-founded as a public school and from the 1840s and 1850s it expanded, with further land acquired in the Bishopswood Road area where the Junior School, also founded in the C19th, later moved in 1938. This is also the site of the main school playing fields, and since 1993 the Pre-Preparatory School. In 1865-67 Frederick Pepys Cockerell's Gothic school buildings were built in Highgate Village, of which the chapel and hall survive, and this site remains the main Senior School. The school expanded further to the north from the 1870s. A war memorial commemorating members of the school who lost their lives in WWI was erected in 1921, its design the Cross of Sacrifice devised in 1919 by Sir Reginald Blomfield that is found all over the country, a Portland stone cross on an octagonal stepped plinth overlaid with a bronze sword.

The school chapel was built on the site of an earlier chapel at ease attached to the grammar school, and the adjacent burial ground was used by Anglicans in Highgate before St Michael's Church was built in South Grove in 1831/2, designed by Lewis Vulliamy. C18th monuments from the old chapel at ease were removed to St Michael's as well as to St Pancras Old Church (q.v.) and to St Mary Hornsey, which has a monument to Samuel Taylor Coleridge (d.1834) sculpted by George Martin. The burial ground is raised above pavement level and is surrounded by railings over brick walls. Although it is not publicly accessible, tombstones including an obelisk can be seen set into grass, with a number of mature trees.

Sources consulted:

C A Evans and A P White, 'The Story of Highgate School, 1938-1949', c.1950; S W Kitchener, 'Old Highgate, the Story of a London Village', n.d.

Page Top

Discover. Visit. Research. Explore.