Now redeveloped as private housing, this is the former site of Southwood Hospital, which was here from 1951-91 on the east side of Southwood Lane. To the rear of the hospital were remains of the gardens of The Limes, a villa built in 1815. The hospital gardens comprised a sloping lawn flanked by belts of mature trees, including magnolia, yew, plane and some exotic specimen trees with early C20th planting that included a number of conifers.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.cityshape.com
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
This is the former site of Southwood Hospital, now redeveloped by Cityshape Ltd to provide 6 large private houses with secluded gardens. The hospital opened here in 1951 on an irregular-shaped site on the east side of Southwood Lane and to the rear were remains of the gardens of The Limes, a villa built in 1815 for the owners of Southwood. The house was altered and extended in the C19th, and was then further extended after it was purchased in 1921 by the Furniture Trades' Provident and Benevolent Institution for use as a children's home for the 'fatherless children' of its members. It was named Radlett House after Radlett in Hertfordshire, where the Institution's original orphanage had been founded in 1905. When the orphanage moved out of London in 1940, the house was leased to Middlesex County Council, who converted it into a hospital for the chronically ill, which opened in 1941. Radlett House later became part of the NHS and by 1951 was renamed Southwood Hospital, now providing 77 beds. In subsequent years the hospital shrunk to 30 beds by 1987 and when it closed in 1991 there were only 22. The east boundary of the garden with that of its neighbour to the north, Southwood House (q.v.), altered several times in the late C19th/ early C20th, and the extent of the hospital gardens was similar to that shown on the 1864 OS map. They comprised a sloping lawn flanked by belts of mature trees, including magnolia, yew, plane and some exotic specimen trees with early C20th planting that included a number of conifers.
Although Southwood Hospital closed in 1991, it was not until 2004 that the building was converted by Cityshape Ltd into Southwood Court, a terrace of six large 5-bedroom houses with secluded private gardens. In 2005 Cityshape also built Linear House in the former hospital grounds, a partially sunken 5-bedroom bungalow built into the sloping site, its roof planted with grass and wild flowers. Designed by Clague Architects, it won the RIBA Downland Sustainability Award in 2008 for its energy efficient design.
Victoria County History; Richardson pp135-136; 'Southwood Hospital' on Lost Hospitals of London http://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/southwood.html/