|Southwood Hall Estate||Haringey|
Southwood Hall was built in 1845, a new-Gothic house with fine grounds. The mansion flats of Southwood Hall Estate were built over the site in 1931 and little remains of the original gardens apart from a classical statue, perhaps once one of a pair, a C19th summerhouse, and a number of fine mature trees dating from early - mid C19th.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Southwood Lane was an old route leading uphill to Highgate, and until the mid C20th housing here consisted of large mansions in their own grounds. The mansion flats and surrounding garden of Southwood Hall Estate were built in 1931 on the site of the former Southwood Hall and its grounds, situated at the junction of Muswell Hill Road and Wood Lane. A neo-Gothic, castellated house, Southwood Hall was built in 1845 for H V Tubbs. Photographs of the C19th and early C20th show the garden front and stone balustraded terrace, with urns and a pair of classical statues, possibly depicting Venus and Apollo. Little remains of the original gardens although one white marble statue survives dating from the C18th or earlier, much eroded as a result of a destructive cleaning process that stripped away its covering layers of paint. It appears to be a version of the Uffizi Apollino, displayed in the Tribuna and much copied in the C18th. The copies were frequently paired with a Marine Venus, as was perhaps the case here. Also in the gardens is a small C19th summerhouse, open on one side, which is constructed of brick, with rusticated quoins of vitrified brick and a pitched slate roof. It incorporates older material including a pair of baseless three-quarter Ionic columns flanking the entrance, possibly salvaged from the earlier house on the site. The gardens have a number of fine mature trees, probably planted in the early to mid C19th.
Keane 1850, pp86-7; English Heritage Primary Research File HAR 65; Richardson p 140; Sylvia Bond, 'Southwood Hall' in Hornsey Historical Society Bulletin, no 13 1974 pp 8-10; Schwitzer and Gay 1995, pp 76-77; HHS archives.