|Bessingby Park and Pine Gardens, and Cavendish Recreation Ground||Hillingdon|
Cavendish Pavilion was built in 1914 for Debenhams store as a staff recreation centre in what was then open countryside. It is now Cavendish Recreation Ground with formal rose gardens to the south of the building. An area of hillocky, semi-natural ground separates the recreation ground from the adjacent Bessingby Park and Pine Gardens, which were laid out in the mid-C20th.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hillingdon.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Bessingby Park to the south was laid out as part of mid-C20th council housing development and is dominated by playing fields, but includes modern planting of flowering trees and a straight east-west walk lined with pink hawthorns from the entrance on Bessingby Road. There are 2 flowerbeds along the walk and some willows that may predate the municipal layout; the entrance has iron gate piers and gates and a bungalow lodge. There is another wildlife area is near the playground of Bessingby Park. Cavendish Pavilion on Field End Road has half-timbered detail, the house now leased. To the front it has a lawn to the road, and to the rear a central covered terrace looks onto rose gardens with geometric beds and paths.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 edition)