Breakspear Crematorium was established by Ruislip-Northwood and Uxbridge Crematorium Joint Committee in 1957, set in a landscape with woodlands to the north and quite open countryside to the west. The landscaping is extensive and has a complex layout with formal garden 'rooms' within conifer hedging in various configurations, rose gardens, a water garden with pond, waterfall and rockwork, as well as more natural areas and woodland. There are numerous trees throughout the cemetery, with a preponderance of evergreen varieties.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.breakspearcrematorium.com
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Breakspear Crematorium was formally opened on 14 December 1957 by the Rt. Hon Earl of Verulam and was dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Willesden, the Rt. Revd G E Ingle. The more traditional East Chapel dates from 1957 and was designed by Dahl and Cadman. The circular West Chapel was added when the Crematorium expanded in 1972. This was opened on 30 June 1973 by Lord Greenwood of Rossendale, who was President of the Crematorium Society, and dedicated by the Archdeacon of Northolt. In 2008 a £4.2m investment programme commenced to improve the facilities, following agreement between Hillingdon and Harrow Councils, who jointly manage the cemetery. The proposed works include a new crematorium building, a new chapel/multi-purpose hall, increased car parking, waiting rooms and toilets, along with a cafeteria and covered flower terrace.
Breakspear Crematorium brochure