|Cherry Lane Cemetery||Hillingdon|
In July 1936 Hayes and Harlington UDC acquired this land for use as a burial ground. Cherry Lane Cemetery was opened in 1936 with the first burial taking place in 1937, and an additional portion was consecrated in May 1944. It is so called because the former name of Shepiston Lane was Cherry Lane. Within the cemetery is the EMI Memorial commemorating 37 people who died when a bomb landed on the EMI factory in Hayes in WWII.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hillingdon.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The site was part of a field of 24.5 acres owned and farmed by the Hayward family. Land next to the cemetery is still farmed at Frogsditch Farm. Once known as the Beech Wood, the land was formerly within the extensive Dawley estate, a manor recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086 with a grand house, gardens and parkland. Cherry Lane Cemetery was laid out with a grid of paths and at the roadside boundary has 2 semi-circular entrances with iron gates and railings with brick and stone piers. Cemetery planting includes a variety of trees such as conifers and evergreens particularly along the south boundary. A small rustic shelter is located midway along the south boundary with hedging in front, and dotted around the cemetery are a number of quite picturesque roofed structures for watering cans. A more recent Garden of Remembrance is located near a pond, with pleasant landscaping and seating. In 1977 a new section was designated for Muslim burials. By October 2008 some 9,500 people had been buried here.
In 2008, the cemetery was under threat of losing part of its land to road realignment within BAA's plans for the construction of a third runway for Heathrow Airport, and as a result CLAD (Cherry Lane Against Development) was established to oppose this. The third runway scheme was given government permission to go ahead in January 2009 and while BAA has indicated that the cemetery would not be affected, legislation is not in place to uphold this.
B T White, 'The History of Dawley (Middlesex), Hayes and Harlington Local History Society, 2001. Information on CLAD website, www.cherrylane.org.uk