Churchfield Gardens were formerly fields next to the old Ruislip parish church of St Martin's. The land was passed over to Ruislip and Northwood UDC by Harold George Dyke on 16 November 1927, the land transfer document dictating that it was to be preserved for use as a public open space in perpetuity. It was laid out as a recreation ground, with a formal rose garden in the north part, which is still in place today with a central ornamental feature. The park opens out to a grassed area, with various trees including a grove of horse chestnuts.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2016
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hillingdon.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Up until the C19th most of the parish of Ruislip south of Eastcote Road was fields, of which Church Field was one of the main fields, the land was enclosed under an Act of 1804. Adjacent to the park is the churchyard of St Martin's Church (q.v.) and it is opposite the historic Manor Farm Complex (q.v.). Two local groups, Friends of Churchfield Gardens and Ruislip Residents Association, take an active interest in the park, which first won a Green Flag Award in 2008, achieving this in subsequent years. Activities organised by the Friends have included planting events such as replanting of a flowerbed by the playground in which children took part, and a herb bed in 2008.
LB Hillingdon, Green Spaces Booklet; LB Hillingdon 'Churchfield Gardens Management Plan 2007-2011', c.2008