|Cowley Recreation Ground||Hillingdon|
Cowley Recreation Ground was laid out on the former parkland of Cowley House, an C18th mansion that still stands to the north on the High Street, Cowley. The site was purchased by the local council on 13 March 1929, and in August of the same year adjoining land owned by the Fassnidge family was added to the new park. It was further expanded in later years.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/01/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hillingdon.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Cowley was a small rural parish until the C19th and the Manor in early times belonged to Westminster Abbey, the parish church of St Laurence probably built by monks or their tenants in the C12th. Cowley House was built in 1738, re-cased in the late C18th and altered in 1896 by Reginald Blomfield who added a north extension. It was gutted by fire in 1929 and converted to flats, with more flats erected in the grounds c.1980. Barton Booth, a celebrated tragic actor whose portrayal of the Ghost in Hamlet was reputedly unrivalled, had once lived here and later John Rich, manager of Covent Garden (d.1761) owned the house, where William Hogarth painted a 'garden scene at Mr Rich's villa at Cowley'.
Cowley Recreation Ground was expanded over the years following the initial purchase in March 1929 of Cowley Hall grounds following the fire. The Fassnidge land added in August 1929 had been purchased by Edward Fassnidge in 1872, who owned much land in the area, part of which later became Fassnidge Park (q.v.). Remnants of the former land use include a length of C18th garden wall that bounds one side of the bowling green and trees that pre-date the municipal park, such as a fine group of mature beech trees with an imposing Cedar of Lebanon. Elsewhere are mature London plane and horse chestnuts, and a notable planting of three horse chestnuts in a single hole. Part of the park was made over for sports use for the nearby Cowley Hall Housing Estate and a Football Clubhouse is by the south entrance to the park. The Grand Union Canal was built between 1791-1805 and divides the park from Cowley Lake to the south. The park has access to the canal towpath, which leads north to Cowley Lock. Cowley Recreation Ground won a Green Flag Award in 2009, retained in 2010.
C Hearmon, 'Uxbridge: A Concise History', 1984; Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 edition); Sir Clifford Radcliffe 'Middlesex', Evan Brothers Ltd, (c.1950); LB Hillingdon 'Cowley Recreation Ground Management Plan 2008-2012'