Northwood Park was a large estate and fragments of its C19th landscape park survive since Mount Vernon Hospital was built in 1904. Northwood Hall to the south of the hospital site was rebuilt and renamed Denville Hall in c.1840 for the Norton family. Surviving landscape features include a lake, a clump of Corsican pine, a mid C19th lodge on the road, and a small flint gazebo close to the roadside.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The North London Hospital for Consumption and Diseases of the Chest was founded in 1860, moving to Mount Vernon in Hampstead in 1864, from where it gained its name. In 1904 it moved to the Northwood Park estate, later becoming a general hospital in c.1939 and in 1967 the Marie Curie Hospital moved here.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 edition) p344; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993) p571