|Friends Meeting House Garden||Hillingdon|
Uxbridge Friends Meeting House is a Georgian brick building with arched windows built in 1817-18, which originally consisted of two rooms divided by a cross passage with sliding shutters. It is surrounded by its small burial ground, which is railed to the road and contains a few gravestones near the Meeting House. This now provides a small garden with grass, conifers and other trees, and is open at certain times to the public. Part of the garden is also used by a nursery that occupies the Meeting House on weekdays. Friends Walk divides the garden from a further area of paving and seating owned by the adjacent Allied Irish Bank.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2014
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.uxbridge.quaker.eu.org
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Uxbridge was an important centre of non-conformism from the C17th, with Quaker meetings taking place in the locality from 1658. The first Friends Meeting House in Uxbridge was built in 1692, the building later replaced in 1755.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed), p319/20.