Harefield Hospital was built in the 1930s as the county sanatorium for sufferers of TB in the grounds of the early-mid C18th Harefield Park, whose vestigial garden and fragment of parkland remain. The house is now used as the hospital's staff centre. There is a good cedar on the lawn and holm oak. Intrusive tennis courts have been built between the house and two formal ponds; the Lakeside Garden was restored in 1994. The Ha-ha remains, albeit in poor condition and there are remnants of deer park boundary bank and ditch. The walled garden has remains of old glasshouses.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.rbht.nhs.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Harefield Park was formerly known as Belhammonds, and was built for Sir George Cooke in c.1710-1718, according to dates on rainwater heads, but was much altered in the C18th and C19th. It was once owned by Bertie Wentworth Vernon, but he did not live here; from 1845-56 the social and medical reformer and pioneer of 'The Lancet', Thomas Wakley, lived at Harefield Park. In the early C20th it was owned by the Billyard-Leake family from Australia and in 1915 they offered part of their estate to the Australian government in order to provide a convalescent home for injured Australian and New Zealand soldiers. The first hospital buildings were wooden shacks, but it gradually expanded to a larger area of the Harefield Park estate and on 16 August 1915 was visited by King George V and Queen Mary. The early connection with Australia and New Zealand is commemorated by the ANZAC Centre that opened at Harefield Hospital in 2003. St Mary's Parish Churchyard (q.v.) has a designated ANZAC graveyard where an annual memorial service is held.
After the war the Billyard-Leakes sold their estate to Middlesex County Council who were looking for a site to establish a county sanatorium for the treatment of TB, a serious health problem at that time. Harefield was a good location given its high position, since the treatment of TB in the open-air was favoured. Designed by MCC architect W T Curtis, the new hospital was built in 1933-37 as an isolation hospital for sufferers of TB. In the late 1940s Harefield Hospital became part of the new National Health Service and became known for its work related to heart conditions. Sir Thomas Holmes Sellors pioneered cardiac surgery from the late 1940s and it was later renowned for the heart transplants carried out by Professor Sir Magdi Yacoub, with the first heart and lung transplant taking place in 1983. In 1998 it merged with the Royal Brompton Hospital to become the Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust.
Various areas of landscaping have been laid out as part of the hospital grounds including the Philip Hunter Garden with shrubberies, which was dedicated on 26 June 1993. An area of landscaping in front of the 1930s building is dedicated to Ken Pinfield (1931-1994) who was founder and Chair of the Harefield Club known as 'The Hamsters', the planting sponsored by The Ruislip Central Horticultural Society in 1997. Elsewhere in the hospital grounds are sports facilities such as cricket pitches. The C19th Lodge on Rickmansworth Road is now an annexe to Harefield Hospital.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 edition) p319; John Finney, Conservation Officer, LB Hillingdon;The Story of Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Trust on hospital website.