Hillingdon House was the former manor house of West Hillingdon, an old settlement on the way to Uxbridge. The house was rebuilt in 1717 by the Duke of Schomberg but largely destroyed by a fire in 1844 and rebuilt by architect George Mair. It has been an RAF Officers' Mess since 1915 when the RAF bought the estate. There is a serpentine lake in the grounds, which still stretch down to the River Pinn, although the character has been eroded by RAF use.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 edition) p336; Copper Plate Magazine v.1, 1792, pl.46; Keane, Beauties of Middlesex, 1850, 150-51; Cottage Gardener v.14, 1855, 310-12.