|St Giles Churchyard||Hillingdon|
The village of Ickenham dates from at least the time of the Domesday Survey and St Giles Church has remnants of the medieval building. There are fine monuments in the church, and the churchyard has some good C18th table-tombs including a railed tomb surmounted with an urn. The flagstaff near the church was erected for King George V's Silver Jubilee and has a stone base with carving depicting trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.stgileschurch.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Ickenham dates from at least the time of the Domesday Survey, in which it appears as 'Ticheham'; it was an agricultural area until the C20th. The parish church in the centre of the old village is a flint-rubble and brick building, with nave and chancel of the C14th, a timber bell turret added in the C15th, a large north aisle of the C16th, and a rustic timber-framed south porch c.1500. In 1640/50 a mortuary chapel was added, probably by the Harrington family of Swakeleys (q.v.), which contains tablets to the family. A bust of the Earl of Essex in the church was once on a C17th screen at Swakeleys. In 1958 the church was extended by E C Butler. Near the church is the small village green, with pond and 'picturesque pump' (according to a 1909 description). The pump has an iron and timber octagonal Gothic canopy erected in 1866, paid for by Charlotte Gell who also built Gells Almshouses in Swakeleys Road in 1857, fronted by a small strip of pretty garden. Adjacent to the pump is a bed with a tulip tree and rose beds commemorating the Silver Jubilee of the Ickenham Women's Institute 1924-74.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England, London 3: North West (Penguin, 1999 ed) p.338/9; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993), p.731.