|St Laurence Churchyard, Cowley||Hillingdon|
St Laurence's Church in Cowley is the smallest parish church in Middlesex. Cowley was a small rural parish until the C19th and the atmosphere of a country church is retained despite its built-up surroundings. The lych-gate commemorates the 1914-18 war and was erected in 1919. The churchyard has a brick wall to Church Road and there are numerous gravestones and monuments set into the grass, including a railed chest tomb for Thomas Dagnell.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.stlaurencecowley.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
St Laurence's Church in Cowley is an unenlarged medieval building of rubble, flint and local ferricrete. Its turret tower is timber, the bellcote rebuilt in 1780. Parts of the building date from Norman times and it is one of only three churches in Middlesex with Saxon origins and a C13th chancel; in the churchyard is the remains of a C12th/C13th moulded stone bowl. The church was restored in 1897. On the exterior wall of the church is a stone plaque recording the burial nearby of the Revd Dr William Dodd 'Author and at one time Chaplain to King George III' who was hanged at Tyburn in 1777 for forgery. There are a number of old yew and other trees by the church, but otherwise the churchyard is open land. Near the church are roses and flower beds, with standard roses along the path between lych-gate and church.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England, London 3: North West (Penguin, 1999 ed) p.310; Sir Clifford Radcliffe 'Middlesex', Evan Brothers Ltd, (c.1950); London Diocesan Advisory Committee data