|St Martin's Churchyard, Ruislip||Hillingdon|
A church is recorded here as early as 1190 and Ruislip is mentioned in Domesday Survey. The village, which centred around St Martin's Church and Manor Farm, remained undeveloped until the early C20th, the railway reaching Ruislip in 1904. In the churchyard are a couple of long wooden graveboards, one that of Olive White of Southill Farm Eastcote. Relatively rare now, wooden graveboards were once a common sight in Middlesex churchyards, generally used due to the expense of stone and granite. The churchyard has a number of railed chest tombs, a fine old yew and other trees, and two lych-gates. Near the church is Ruislip War Memorial.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2016
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. http://stmartins-ruislip.org
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Manor of Ruislip was given to the Benedictine Abbey of Bec in c.1087 and it was owned by the monks until 1404; it was the second largest medieval parish in Middlesex and included Eastcote and Northwood. In 1451 Henry VI gave Ruislip to his new foundation of King's College Cambridge, which was the chief landowner in the area. Following the arrival of the railway the first suburban development grew along the new road that linked the station to the south of the village with the old hamlet of Kingsend. In 1909 King's College proposed a garden suburb scheme, which was then incorporated into a plan of 1914 by Ruislip-Northwood Urban District Council, although this was never completed. As a result Park Wood was preserved as open space, having been designated for 'superior detached houses'.
St Martin's Church is a flint and rubble building with stone dressings dating from the C13th, and over the years it has been heavily restored and extended. It has a C15th battlemented south-west tower, finely carved bread cupboard of 1697, and a C12th font. There are numerous memorials to the Hawtreys family of nearby Eastcote House (q.v.), including late C16th brasses and a fine set of funeral hatchments. On the north of the churchyard are some fine old buildings including a 2-storey timber framed house built c.1570, which was converted in 1616/7 to ten 2-roomed back-to-back cottages for housing the poor, those fronting the High Street later becoming the Verger's cottage and now leased by the Harding Housing Association. In the churchyard near the Almshouses is the grave of the singer Elizabeth Schumann. Near the High Street entrance of the new churchyard area is a chest tomb for Annie Hall OBE with Chest tomb for Annie Hall OBE with lettering by Eric Gill. At the northern end of the the new churchyard is the grave of Monsignor Edward Stanley Sutton (1887-1964), Roman Catholi Priest of Ruilsip from 1933-64. The church has two lych-gates, that on Eastcote Road was originally erected as a memorial to the Vicar of Ruislip, Revd Thomas Marsh-Everett (d.1900);but the gates were stolen and replaced in 2003 with oak gates, in mremory of Jo Cotton. The lych gate on High Street was erected in 1902 to commemorate the Coronation of Edward VII. A quiet garden was created in 2004 with shrubs, bulbs and seating around a sculture in wood by Sister Bridget Mary.
Ruislip War Memorial, dedicated on 2 April 1920, was originally located in the churchyard but was relocated to its current site in 1976, across the road from the church at the crossroads of Eastcote Road and the High Street. The 1939-45 names were not added until 1980. Nearby is a trough provided by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association, moved here in 1970.
'The Parish Church of St Martin Ruislip', guide book, 1993 updated 2007; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England, London 3: North West (Penguin, 1999 ed) p.342; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993), p.571; Joanne Verden 'Ten Walks Around Pinner', (The Pinner Association) 1999 ed.; Eileen Bowlt, 'Ruislip History Trail: Manor Farm & Village' LB Hillingdon (n.d.)