|St Martin's Churchyard, West Drayton||Hillingdon|
There are records that a church existed here in the late C12th with a second church built in the early C13th. From the C12th the Manor of Drayton was owned by the Dean of St Paul's. In 1547 it was granted to Sir William Paget who built a grand Manor House immediately west of St Martin's Church, and remnants of the C16th gatehouse are next to the churchyard. The walled churchyard has flagstones and mown grass in front and a number of yews, with longer unmown grass beyond and an area of woodland growth behind the church.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The present C15th flint building has the base of the earlier tower, piscina and north chancel wall and was restored in 1850-52 and again in 1974-5 at which time the C13th crypt was discovered beneath the chancel, and the altar was re-sited to the west end. Monuments and brasses from the earlier church include those of Richard Roos (d.1406), Dr James Good (d.1581) who was physician to Mary Queen of Scots, and Lord Hunsdon, Lord of the Manor and cousin to Queen Elizabeth I. From the C12th the Manor of Drayton was owned by the Dean of St Paul's, passing in 1546 to Henry VIII who granted it to his Secretary of State, Sir William Paget in 1547. Little remains of Paget's grandiose Manor House, demolished c.1750, which stood immediately west of the church and encroached on the mediaeval churchyard. Remnants of the early C16th gatehouse stand next to the churchyard and retains the Tudor walls as a core remnant of the complex once dominated by the Manor House; there are other remnant garden walls from the Manor stretching along Church Road. Now largely suburban housing, the area remained rural until the early C20th, with farming and brick-making industries; housing developed from the 1920s and later Heathrow Airport and the M4 transformed the area.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 edition) p368; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993);