London Gardens Online
Select by type
London Gardens Online

SITE DETAILS

St Mary's Churchyard, Harmondsworth Burial Ground and Harmondsworth Village Green Hillingdon
   
Summary: The village name of Harmondsworth comes from 'Heremod's enclosure. Harmondsworth Manor was granted to the Abbey of Rouen in 1069 by William the Conqueror and a priory cell established in the village. Harmondsworth became an important staging post along the route from London to the west. In 1838 the Great Western Railway opened but Harmondsworth remained largely rural until the 1940s and the building of Heathrow Airport. The C12th church stands on Harmondsworth Village Green. The churchyard has C18th and early C19th tombstones; Harmondsworth Burial Ground was established by the Burial Board on land adjacent to the churchyard in 1905.
Previous / Other name: Harmondsworth Parish Church
Site location: High Street, Harmondsworth Village, Middlesex
Postcode: UB7 0AQ > Google Map
Type of site: Churchyard
Date(s): C12th on; 1905 (Burial Ground)
Designer(s):
Listed structures: LBII*: St Mary's Church. Nearby: Barn SAM/LBI
Borough: Hillingdon
Site ownership: Church: Diocese of London. Burial Ground: LB Hillingdon
Site management: Churchyard maintained by Church. Burial Ground: LB Hillingdon Cemetery Office (Grounds Maintenance Service)
Open to public? Yes
Opening times: unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport: Rail: West Drayton then bus. Bus U3.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2001
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hillingdon.gov.uk

Fuller information:

The village name of Harmondsworth comes from 'Heremod's enclosure' (worth = enclosure). Harmondsworth Manor was granted to the Abbey of Rouen in 1069 by William the Conqueror and a priory cell was established in the village. Later William of Wykeham acquired the manor, who endowed it to Winchester College in 1391, which was a patron of the church. Harmondsworth became an important staging post along the route from London to the west along the Bath Road. In 1838 the Great Western Railway opened but Harmondsworth remained farmland and market gardening largely until the 1940s and the building of Heathrow Airport. The parish church was situated near the Manor Farm, the great early C15th barn of which survives today, reputedly one of the largest at 60 ft long, and has been described as one of the finest aisled timber-framed barns in the country (Pevsner). The Friends of the Great Barn at Harmondsworth has taken on the day-to-day care of the barn and it opened to the public for the first time in April 2012. The church dates from the C12th having a doorway of that time, with later additions including an C18th cupola on top of the tower. It stands on Harmondsworth Village Green, which retains its village atmosphere with grass and rose bushes, and the C16th Sun Inn still a public house.

The churchyard has C18th and early C19th tombstones 'prettily carved' (Pevsner). Harmondsworth Burial Ground was established by the Burial Board on land adjacent to the churchyard in 1905, and has entrance gate piers in the north east corner still opening onto fields.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England, London 3: North West (Penguin, 1999 ed) p.324/5; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993).
Grid ref: TQ057778
Size in hectares:
   
On EH National Register : No
EH grade:
Site on EH Heritage at Risk list:
Registered common or village green
on Commons Registration Act 1965:
Yes: Green (Harmondsworth Green TVG34)
Protected under London Squares
Preservation Act 1931:
No
 
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
On Local List:
In Conservation Area: Yes
Conservation Area name: Harmondsworth Village
Tree Preservation Order: Not known
Nature Conservation Area: No
Green Belt: Yes (churchyard)
Metropolitan Open Land: No
Special Policy Area: No
Other LA designation:
   

| Page Top |

Discover. Visit. Research. Explore.
< Back