|St Peter and St Paul's Churchyard, and Harlington Burial Ground||Hillingdon|
Harlington is referred to in the Domesday Book in 1086 and St Peter and St Paul's Church is the old parish church. Harlington Manor had various owners including Ambrose Coppinger who entertained Queen Elizabeth I here in 1602. The monuments in the churchyard are mainly C19th. A fine old yew tree to the south was the subject of elaborate topiary until 1825 and there is another ancient yew to the north and a yew walk on the west axis. In 1871 an extension of the churchyard was established to the west by Harlington Burial Board.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hillingdon.gov.uk; www.achurchnearyou.com/st-peter-st-paul-harlington
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The opening of the Grand Union Canal in 1794 led to the brick-making industry being established, which continued until the mid C20th, and with the opening of the station in 1864 the area began to be developed. The village was later brought together with Hayes and Cranford when Hayes and Harlington UDC was formed in 1930. The medieval church has the 'best Norman doorway in outer London' (Pevsner) and its tower is c.1500, with fragments dating from the C16th/17th. There is a splendid High Victorian tomb to William Brookes (d.1869), studded with coloured stones. The church is bounded by railings along St Peter's Way to the east and at the entrance is a wrought iron gate with overthrow. A notable parishioner was William Byrd, the composer, who lived in the parish from 1577-1592.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 edition) p322. Todd Longstaffe-Gowan, 'Topiary on a Gargantuan Scale: the Clipped 'Yew-trees' at four ancient London churchyards' in The London Gardener, vol. 11, 2005/6, pp70-86