|All Saints Churchyard, Isleworth||Hounslow|
There was a church at Isleworth at the time of the Norman Conquest and the medieval church of All Saints was largely rebuilt in 1706/7. The present building retains the C15th tower but was rebuilt in 1967-70 following severe damage by fire in 1943. Isleworth became a fashionable place to live in the C18th and suburban development dates from the arrival of the railways. The churchyard was extended in 1848 but by 1877 was full. In front of the church is a neatly kept garden with a number of tombs, with a more wooded burial ground behind the church.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.allsaints-isleworth.org.uk; www.hounslow.hounslow.info/parks/cemeteries
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
There has long been human habitation at Isleworth, with evidence of a riverside settlement in Neolithic times. The earliest known reference to the church here occurs in 695 AD and at the time of the Norman Conquest the church at Isleworth was given to the Abbey of St Valeri in Picardy. In 1391 it was transferred to William Wykeham, forming part of the endowment for his newly formed Winchester College; and in 1547 it was granted to the Dean and Canons of St George's Chapel in Windsor. From the time of Henry VIII until 1960 a ferry ran from the church to the opposite bank of the Thames. From the late C17th Isleworth became a fashionable place to live with fine riverside estates established. Produce from orchards and market gardens in the locality provided London markets well into the C19th. When the London and South Western Railway opened between Barnes and Feltham in the mid C19th, this led to suburban housing development in the area.
The medieval church had been largely rebuilt in 1706/7 to designs of John Price, which were modified from designs that Sir Christopher Wren had drawn up in 1703. The present All Saints' Church retains the C15th tower but following severe damage by fire in 1943 a new church was built in 1967/70 designed by Michael Blee, partially within the older walls. Some monuments and brasses from the old church survive including a small figure of Margaret Dely, Sister of Syon (d.1561), as well as C15th and C16th brasses, and monuments of the C17th and C18th. A number of wall tablets are now fixed to the exterior walls, and in an open courtyard between the old church doors and the new entrance is a landscaped area with grass and a small stream emanating from a font. A plague pit in the churchyard under a yew tree was the burial place of 149 parishioners who died in the Great Plague in 1665. Among notable people buried here were Richard Robinson, who left money to the poor of the parish; Judge Haliburton; Lawrence Manley, who was a Yeoman Usher of Elizabeth I; and Anne Tolson, who bequeathed money for the Tolson Almshouses. Entered through gates from the riverside, the churchyard in front of the church has mown grass, a long herbaceous bed on the left-hand side and shrubs in the lawn, with a number of fine chest tombs among the monuments. Behind the church to the north is the main area of the churchyard, which was extended by c.1 acre in 1848 and this area is now more overgrown and wooded. By 1877 the burial ground was full, which necessitated the purchase of land for the new Isleworth Cemetery (q.v.), which opened in 1879/80.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed) p429/30; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Sir Clifford Radcliffe 'Middlesex', Evan Brothers Ltd, (c.1950); David Pape, 'Nature Conservation in Hounslow' Ecology Handbook 15, London Ecology Unit, 1990; 'Isleworth: a guide and some of its history', Isleworth Community Council, 1991; Ken Cooper, 'History of All Saints' on church website