Beaversfield Park was opened by the Mayor of Heston and Isleworth Borough Council on 8 June 1935, its name taken from the fields of Beavers Farm to the west of Hounslow Barracks on Beavers Lane. It was created to serve the rapidly growing population of Hounslow West, and its early facilities included bowling and putting greens, tennis courts and children's playground as well as horticultural features.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hounslow.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
In 1635 Moses Glover's map shows two areas of farmland here, the South Bever and the North Bever and Beavers Lane dates from the early C19th. The park was created to meet the needs of new residents of Hounslow West suburbs, and was part of a programme of providing parks in the borough, whose population had doubled between 1921 and 1935. In 1929 3.85 hectares of land had been purchased but the stock market crash and the Depression delayed the work and in 1933 the council still awaited government sanction for the work. The layout cost nearly £5,000 and included a bowling green, putting green, 2 grass and 2 hard tennis courts, children's playground, a large area of grass, with pavilion, toilets, entrance gates and paths. The work was undertaken by Direct Labour under the supervision of the Parks Superintendent, Mr C A Newman. The park's 'special horticultural features' included 'an extensive herbaceous border, polyantha rose border and dahlia borders'. A purple beech tree was planted for King George V's Silver Jubilee in 1935 and a walnut tree to celebrate the new park's layout had been raised from seed in the garden of the Chairman of the Parks and Open Spaces Committee, Cllr E W Heath. Cllr Heath speaking at the opening of the park announced that his hobby would be horticulture until he died. On the evening of the opening a bowling match was held between Hounslow West and Lampton Park Clubs.
In 1988 Beaversfield Park was described as 'small but pretty', with its bowling green still in use and a mixed border to the left of the entrance had shrubs and herbaceous plants including 'red-hot pokers, lilies, oxalis, dovonicurm, arabis and hypericum', with the south wall of the park planted with 300 Virginia creepers. The park was refurbished in c.2004 and won a Green Flag Award in 2008 and again in 2010.
The south wall is adjacent to the Hounslow Barracks, built in 1793 as cavalry barracks and enlarged in 1875, the oldest barracks in Britain and still in use, later used by the Royal Fusiliers and Middlesex Regiments.
Middlesex Chronicle, 15 June 1935; H F H, 15 January 1988