Bedfont was a small isolated hamlet dating back to medieval times, surrounded by Hounslow Heath. Bedfont Green fronts the medieval church of St Mary the Virgin and forms the setting of Burlington House, to the south of which there was once a pond. It was formerly more tree-covered, particularly with horse chestnuts but many were lost in the hurricanes of 1987. Fairgrounds used to be held here, particularly during Ascot Week as the route to the racetrack was through the village.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hounslow.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Bedfont remains rural and was a small isolated hamlet dating back to medieval times surrounded by Hounslow Heath (q.v.), which was enclosed in 1813. The land was then used for agriculture and market gardening. Bedfont Green fronts the medieval parish church of St Mary the Virgin (q.v.), forming the setting of Burlington House to the east. A pond south of Burlington House that is shown on the 1869 OS map is no longer in existence. The Green today is an open grassed area with scattered mature trees including oak and evergreens, and mature lime trees to the east that were planted along the boundaries in the late C19th. The Green formerly had more trees, particularly horse chestnuts and it was once described as 'littered with conkers', but many were destroyed in the hurricanes of 1987. A small row of old shops and cottages on one side of Staines Road overlooking the Green no longer exists.
David Pape, 'Nature Conservation in Hounslow' Ecology Handbook 15, London Ecology Unit, 1990; The Parks Agency, 'Commons, Heaths and Greens in Greater London, A short report for English Heritage' (2005)