|Carville Hall Park South||Hounslow|
Carville Hall North and Carville Hall South were formed from the remains of the garden of Carville Hall. The estate was purchased by Middlesex County Council when the Great West Road was being constructed and in late 1919 the MCC sold the land not necessary for the new road to Brentford UDC to be laid out as an open space and war memorial. The park opened in 1923 as Carville Hall War Memorial Park. Now further separated by the M4 Flyover, the two sides of the park are quite different in character. To the south the remains of the fishponds are a pond along the north boundary, with remains of garden planting and some fine trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hounslow.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Great West Road absorbed c.3 acres of the estate, leaving 7.5 acres to the north of which 2.5 acres was former fish ponds belonging to the estate, with c.7 acres to the south on which the mansion was sited and having a small area of water. It was proposed to use the mansion for public purposes. The MCC made a contribution of £2,375 to the purchase cost of £9,500 on condition that the site be 'dedicated to the use of the public as an open space for ever'. The park opened in 1923 as Carville Hall War Memorial Park. The two sides of the park are quite different in character, now further separated by the M4 Flyover. In Carville Hall North (q.v.) to the north of the motorway, the fishponds were filled in and the park is open grassland used for playing fields with a pavilion and playgrounds.
In Carville Park South, the former fishponds remain as a pond along the north boundary, with remains of garden planting and some fine trees including a Tree of Heaven in the grounds by the house, with lawns, some formal beds and new planting including a catalpa. A small area west of Carville Hall has been created as a nature reserve and a playground has been provided. The original entrance gates remain on Clayponds Lane.
LB Hounslow Parks Archive; Middlesex Chronicle 16 December 1919