Donkey Wood is part of Crane Valley Park, with Brazil Mill Woods to the south. It may have got its name from the donkeys that used to carry materials to and from the Gunpowder Mills along the River Crane from the C17th until 1926, when the mills were finally closed down. Towards the north of Donkey Wood are remains of the high earth mounds created around the mill buildings where the gunpowder was dried and stored as protection from explosions, which were common and sometimes devastating. The charcoal was probably burnt in Donkey Wood where alder and willow were common.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hounslow.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Various remains of the old mills can be found near the Duke of Northumberland's River at the southern end of the wood near Baber Bridge, including a runner stone used to crush the saltpetre, charcoal and sulphur to produce the mill cake that finally formed gunpowder.
Donkey Wood information leaflet, LB Hounslow