Feltham Green is a remnant of Feltham Common; the village of Feltham was previously centred around St Dunstan's Church. The area remained agricultural until the 1920s and was important for growing food to supply London. In the C20th the centre of Feltham moved from the church to nearer Feltham Green and the station. On one corner of the Green is the Red Lion pub, one of Feltham's oldest buildings. A drinking trough donated in 1899 is in the south corner of the Green, which has a large pond fed by water from the Longford River.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hounslow.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Feltham Green is a remnant of Feltham Common. Feltham, a small village on the edge of Hounslow Heath (q.v.), was previously centred around St Dunstan's Church (q.v.); in 971 AD the land was given to Westminster Abbey. Much of the commonland had been encroached upon for agricultural use before 1869 and the area remained agricultural until the 1920s. It was important for growing food to supply London particularly after the railway was built in the late 1840s when building in the vicinity of the new station began. In the C20th the centre of Feltham moved from the church to nearer Feltham Green and the station.
The Green was radically changed by the widening of the High Street in the mid-1960s and the shopping precinct on the west side of the road, and later the New Chapel Square development. A retaining wall forms the western boundary of the open space, which affords a formal promenade overlooking the green and its large pond, fed by water from the Longford River. An island was created in the pond after 1869. On one corner of the Green is the Red Lion public house of c.1800, one of Feltham's oldest buildings, and it is also overlooked by St Lawrence's Catholic Church. In the early C19th the 'Loyal Lads of Feltham' gathered here in preparation for invasion by Napoleon. A drinking trough donated in 1899 is in the south corner of the Green. Along the boundary with the main road the wide area of pavement overlooking the pond has a line of London plane trees, seating and a war memorial. The Green has been recently restored with gravel paths and seating, low wood railing and some new perimeter trees with oak and ornamental species.
Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Feltham Green, Feltham Heritage Trails (n.d. c.2000); The Parks Agency 'Commons, Heaths and Greens in Greater London. A short report for English Heritage', 2005