|Friends Meeting House Burial Ground||Hounslow|
First records of a Friends Meeting at Brentford date from 1659, which lapsed when John Woolrich, at whose house the meetings were held, was arrested. In 1706 meetings were held in a barn in Old Brentford but from 1731 there was a movement to set up a new Meeting House. This led to the purchase in 1785 of a small plot of land from Benjamin Angell, a wealthy Quaker. The earliest burials took place in the area to the north of the Meeting House. In 1824 an additional strip of land to the south was given by Sarah Angell for a burial ground and it was used as such from 1855 onwards, remaining open for burials today.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.brentfordandisleworthquakers.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Benjamin Angell was an Elder and Clerk of the Longford Meeting. A successful chintz printer and dyer, he had inherited his father's large estate and the plot of land on what was then called Conduit Lane was purchased for £35. The Meeting House was built in 1785, a simple Georgian building with a main meeting room that is little changed today, although there have been modifications and extensions to the building over the years, and it was damaged in WWII bombing in 1940. While it was being restored the meetings were held in a temporary building in the grounds, known as The Barn, since demolished. The Brentford Friends were connected with Kew Gardens and a number of noted botanists, including Baker and Oliver, regularly attended the Meeting House and were buried here. The early burials were in the northern part and are not marked with gravestones, although its use for burial is recorded on a wall plaque. The burial ground to the south that was given by Sarah Angell in 1824 has simple rows of headstones set among the grass and a row of yew trees along one boundary, with other trees and shrubs. In the southern burial area the remains from the Friends Burial Ground in Long Acre, buried there between 1675 and 1757, were re-interred here in 1892. The uniformity and simplicity of gravestones in Quaker burial grounds reflects the Quaker philosophy of equality. The Meeting House grounds were once larger, but in 1978 part was leased to Shepherds Bush Housing Association to build Angell House, where one of the 9 units is used by the Warden of the Meeting House. It is a peaceful burial ground despite its close proximity to the traffic of Busch Corner.
R W Harris, 'Quakers at Brentford and Isleworth' in Middlesex Quarterly No. 2, Winter 1953; History on Brentford and Isleworth Quakers' website