Isleworth Cemetery was set up by Isleworth Burial Board in 1879 when the parish churchyard at All Saints was full. The land was purchased from the Duke of Northumberland and the cemetery laid out with a network of paths, twin chapels, entrance lodge and mortuary. The first burial took place in 1880. In 1909 the Burial Board transferred the cemetery to the Heston & Isleworth UDC.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hounslow.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Isleworth Burial Board was formed to consider acquisition of a suitable site for a new parish burial ground in 1877 and in 1878 purchase of land belonging to the Duke of Northumberland was approved by the vestry. A loan of £12,000 was negotiated and over 6 acres were purchased in April 1879 for £4,769, the remainder of the loan used for building the twin gothic chapels with a central octagonal spire, designed by architect Mr Farnell, a small lodge at the entrance for the cemetery superintendent, the mortuary, walls, fences and laying out the cemetery. The layout plan of 1878 shows a network of paths, planting around the mortuary and in two oases between paths and along the boundary with 'New Road', which was the name given to Park Road until 1880, with mixed trees including conifers along the south. The first burial took place on 26 June 1880.
Among those buried here are members of the Pears family of the well-known Pears Soap company. In 1886 Andrew Pears, 3rd generation Head of the family business, had purchased Spring Grove House, once the home of Sir Joseph Banks, and enlarged it considerably in the 1890s; it is now part of West Thames College. A polished granite monument commemorates Thomas Pears who was a victim of the Titanic sinking on 15 April 1912. A red granite obelisk was erected by public subscription in 1885 to Alice Ayres who died in a fire while 'she heroically rescued the children committed to her charge'. Others include Sir Thomas Williams (d.1941), who was director of a number of railway and canal companies, and Albert Baldwin (d.1936) who founded a coin-dealing firm in 1872.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Middlesex Chronicle 13 June 1914