The Manor of Hanworth is referred in the Domesday Book and in the C15th was owned by the Crown. In 1519 Henry VIII gave it to the Rector of St George's Hanworth. Rectory Meadow, part of land owned by the Rector, was purchased under the auspices of the Middlesex County Council in 1946/48 for public open space, although discussions had begun in 1939. Hanworth Borough Council received a grant from King George's Fields Foundation towards the park, which opened in 1953.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hounslow.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Domesday Book records that in 1086 the Manor of Hanworth was owned by Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Arundel; in 1294 two-thirds of the manor was owned by Wallingford and the remainder by the Abbot and Convent of Westminster. In the C15th the manor was in the ownership of the Crown and in 1519 Henry VIII gave it to the Rector of St George's Church (q.v.). Rectory Meadow was part of land owned by the Rector and in 1946/8 it was purchased under the auspices of the Middlesex County Council for public open space. Discussions about purchasing the land had begun in 1939 and it was finally sold for £10,000 and opened to the public in 1953, with football, cricket, bowling, tennis and putting greens. Hanworth Borough Council received a grant of £3,500 from King George's Fields Foundation. The Foundation, set up following King George's death in 1936, provided funding for the creation or improvement of a great many playing fields. The Changing Rooms have recently been upgraded by Hanworth Villa and converted into a social centre.
LB Hounslow Park Archives; Feltham Guide, c.1960; Sir Clifford Radcliffe 'Middlesex', Evan Brothers Ltd, (c.1950)