|St Dunstan's Churchyard, Feltham||Hounslow|
Although a church dedicated to St Dunstan may have been erected here in 988 AD, the year of his death, the first reference to a church at Feltham was in the C12th. The medieval church was rebuilt in the early C19th, and later enlarged. The churchyard is largely enclosed by high brick walls and has a number of C18th chest tombs and urn-topped monuments, with cedar, yew and holly among the churchyard trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Feltham was a Saxon settlement first mentioned in 971 AD, the manorial rights once owned by Kennington Manor. The village was practically destroyed by a disastrous fire in 1634, although the church escaped, but the Lord of the Manor, Lord Cottingham, ensured that the parishioners were housed and fed until the village was rebuilt. By 1800 the C15th medieval church was collapsing and a petition by the parishioners for a new one was granted by the Bishop of London in 1801. The new church by William Walker was consecrated by the Bishop on 21 October 1802 with a battlemented tower and spire, retaining some of the materials from the old church, including timber for the tower and floor, and three bells from the older building were recast in 1803. The church was later enlarged in 1855/56 with a south aisle and then north aisle added. In 1955 the old woodwork was discovered to have death-watch beetle and as a result of this the interior has been remodelled.
The district expanded north of the old village centre, which became known as Lower Feltham, after the opening of the station at Feltham in 1847 when the London and South West Railway to Datchet was opened and by the 1930s the old village was becoming surrounded by new housing estates. Among those buried in the churchyard are the headmaster and headmistress of the old school in Feltham High Street, and in an unmarked grave close to the path is William Wynne Ryland, buried with his parents. Ryland was an engraver who was executed for forgery in 1793, one of the last people to be hanged at Tyburn.
Eddie Menday, 'St Dunstan's, The Parish Church of Feltham', 1997; Peter Watson, 'Feltham Notes'; Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 edition) p416