|St John the Baptist Church||Hounslow|
St John the Baptist Church was built in 1856, when Isleworth's growing population had outgrown the parish church of All Saints. The site and the sum of £2,000 were donated by the Duke of Northumberland, the balance raised by local benefactors such as the Glossop and Farnell families. The adjacent day school, vicarage and almshouses were built at the behest of the brewer John Farnell, the school of 1858 now converted for private residence. The church is surrounded by a simple garden, with a number of trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/01/2018
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. http://stjohnsisleworth.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
St John the Baptist Church, May 2017. Photograph Sally Williams
Click photo to enlarge.
In the 1840s the rapidly expanding population of Isleworth was causing overcrowding in the parish church of All Saints (q.v.), as a result of which the Vicar Henry Glossop formed a Committee of Gentlemen in 1846 in order to resolve the situation. The Duke of Northumberland donated the site on St John’s Road as well as £2,000 towards the cost of construction, with the balance largely raised from the Glossop and Farnell families, the latter owners of the nearby Isleworth Brewery. John Farnell paid for the east window and also for the vicarage, day school and Farnell's Almshouses (q.v.). St John the Baptist church was designed by architect John Deason, in Early English style.
A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3, Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (Victoria County History, London, 1962); Church website: http://stjohnsisleworth.org.uk