|St Lawrence's Churchyard||Hounslow|
St Lawrence's Church had close connections with the Manor of Boston, and may have been built by Lord of the Manor Ralf de Brito in the C12th. The medieval church was rebuilt in 1764 retaining its C15th tower, and later remodelled in 1875. It ceased to be used as a church in 1969 and is closed, although there are plans for its eventual use as a theatre and restaurant. Among those buried in the churchyard were members of the Clitherow family who owned Boston Manor from 1670-1924.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
This is probably the site of a church and churchyard built by Ralf de Brito adjoining his house in 1163, when he was granted the Manor of Boston (earlier called Bordeston, Borstone and then Burston), which is thought to have been set up by Gervais de Blois, an illegitimate son of King Stephen. The church had close connections with the Manor of Boston and in 1646 Sir Edward Spencer, husband of Lady Mary Reade who had inherited the estate in 1621, had built a Church House for the minister of St Lawrence's Church, which was used until it was demolished in the C19th. Among those buried in St Lawrence's churchyard were members of the Clitherow family who owned Boston Manor from 1670-1924, including James Clitherow (d.1682), his grandson James (d.1752) and James Clitherow IV (d.1841). The church was rebuilt in 1764 by Thomas Hardwick retaining its C15th tower, and it was later remodelled by B and E B Ferrey in 1875.
St Lawrence's Church ceased to be used as a church in 1969 and is now closed. There are plans for its eventual use as a theatre and restaurant, but the derelict and overgrown walled churchyard is fenced off from public access. A drinking fountain and war memorial plaque are located on the boundary wall on High Street.
London Diocesan Advisory Committee data; Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed) p378; Janet McNamara 'Boston Manor Brentford', Heritage Publications 1998. Duncan Walker, 'Poor, Poor St Lawrence Church' on Brentford Dock Residents website www.brentforddockresidents.co.uk; Matthew Saunders, 'St Lawrence's, Brentford' in Brentford & Chiswick Local History Journal 2 (1981)