|South West Middlesex Crematorium||Hounslow|
South West Middlesex Crematorium opened in 1954 and now serves the London boroughs of Hounslow, Ealing, Hillingdon, Richmond and Spelthorne Borough Council. Surrounded at that time by open parkland, the site was chosen for 'its beauty and peaceful nature'. The group of buildings was planned on a symmetrical axis with a central Garden of Remembrance. The landscaped grounds have varied gardens behind the Crematorium building with numerous trees of many species; extensive rose gardens, and woodland areas.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.swmcrematorium.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
South West Middlesex Crematorium was the 74th crematorium to be opened in the country and the second to be established by a Joint Board representing a number of local authorities, in the case of South West Middlesex there were eight authorities on the Board at the time of opening. On 6 October 1954 the President of the Cremation Society, Lord Horder, opened the new facility, the chapels and Gardens of Remembrance were dedicated by the Bishop of Kensington, Rt. Revd Cyril Eastaugh. The idea for a crematorium had arisen in June 1942 when the Chairman of the Board and other members attended a cremation in Mortlake Crematorium (q.v.) and decided they must have 'one of their own' to serve the outlying parts of the catchment area. By January 1945 several other local boroughs were interested and a Joint Board was formed comprising Twickenham, Heston, Isleworth, Feltham, Sunbury, Hayes and Harlington, Staines and Yiewsley and Southall. A Private Bill was drafted and a site belonging to the MCC and partly in private ownership adjacent to the River Crane was selected. It was chosen for 'its beauty and peaceful nature' and it was surrounded at that time by open parkland.
The Crematorium was designed by architect John Denman, Denman & Son, with a group of buildings planned on a symmetrical axis with a central Garden of Remembrance. When it opened the first section had been completed at a cost of £75,000, with further chapels planned on either side of the Hall, two chapels on the west and further plans for a chapel on the east as circumstances required. It was anticipated that it 'would ultimately be one of the biggest crematoria in the country'. In 1981 land adjacent to the grounds was purchased to extend the car park. A third, larger chapel was built, which can accommodate the large congregations attending the increasing number of Sikh and Hindu funerals. At the funeral of the Sikh holy man Shadi Singh in May 1988 over 3,000 mourners attended.
The Crematorium gardens have gradually been extended and now comprise the North Garden, a Wild Garden, a Rose Garden and the main lawn. Memorials include the Book of Remembrance and Arboria wooden plaques, both located in the Remembrance Hall beneath the tower, and within the grounds are Wall Plaques, Rose Bushes and Bronze Kerbstone Plaques.
Middlesex Chronicle 8 October 1954, 19 May 1988; History of Crematorium on South West Middlesex Crematorium website