There has been a house here since 1181, the last a Georgian manor called Sutton Court, which had an attractive orangery. This house became a boys' school in 1845, but was demolished at the end of the C19th before the present mansion blocks were built on the c.5 acres site. A communal garden, together with planted areas around the buildings, were provided for the use of the residents, and date from 1905. The Edwardian garden retains its original structure, and has remnants of a children's garden and croquet lawn. In addition to the formal garden, the many mature trees give it a woodland feel, and there is now a wildflower meadow.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/08/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.sutton-court.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
There has been a house at Sutton Court since 1181; previous residents included Sir Thomas More, Chaloner Chute and Viscount Fauconberg. The last house on the site was a Georgian manor called Sutton Court, which had an attractive orangery. The house, which had become a boys' school in 1845, was demolished at the end of the C19th before the present red-brick and terracotta mansion blocks were built on the c.5 acres site. A communal garden area, together with planted areas around the buildings, were provided for the use of the residents of the blocks, and date from 1905. Originally the communal garden was laid out with a tennis court and croquet lawn, now replaced with ornamental garden areas.
The garden retains its original structure in large part, including the remnants of the croquet lawn and children's garden, and there are many mature trees. Part of the communal garden has a woodland feel, and with the recently-planted wildflower meadow and spring bulbs provides a contrast with more formal planting. A distinctive feature is the use of hedges to surround the buildings as well as the garden. An active residents gardening club maintains all the landscaped areas including those around the buildings, which have grass, shrubs and flower beds. The history of the garden is also in the process of being researched. In May 2008 a new fountain was created thanks to a bequest from the late Clive Graham. This takes the form of a stone replica triple-tier Eton College fountain and is sited as the focal point of the formal garden.
OGSW booklet 2007; www.sutton-court.co.uk