|Walpole House *||Hounslow|
* on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens
Walpole House was built in the late C17th incorporating earlier fabric and was connected with Dr Turner's Academy. The present L-shaped garden that extends north from the house with a broad section to the west probably dates from the late C19th/early C20th, laid out by Sir Herbert and Lady Tree, confirmed in the later C20th by Mrs Robert Benson and her grandson Jeremy Benson. A terrace from the house leads to rectangular lawn with steps up to the main garden area which has a paved north-south axial path running through the lawn. A path leads westwards into the western section, and in the south is a 1930s paved formal pool. The garden is enclosed on its three sides, with mature trees and shrubs of great variety, including acer, eucalyptus, medlar, poplar, tulip tree.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2005
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Site on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens, for Register Entry see https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list
Barbara Villiers, Duchess of Cleveland, may have lived here, 1707-09 and Daniel O'Connell lodged here for a few years when a law student. Novelist William Thackeray was educated at a school here, and Miss Pinkerton's Academy in 'Vanity Fair' may be based on Walpole House.
Country Life, 13 November 1980 pp1795-8; J Macgregor, 'Gardens of Celebrities . . . In London' 1918 pp188-97; G Plumptre, Collins Book of British Gardens, 1985, pp107-8; Arabella Lennox-Boyd, 'Private Gardens of London', London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1990; Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 edition) p402