|Boulevard Gardens (Capel Gardens and Pinner Court)||Harrow|
Capel Gardens and Pinner Court are a 1930s development of symmetrically-arranged colonial-style luxury flats set back from the main road, which were provided with landscaped gardens. To the front are two areas of public gardens, Boulevard Gardens, on either side of the entrance to Pinner New Cemetery. Steps lead up from the public gardens into the private courtyard gardens behind.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hackney.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Capel Gardens and Pinner Court are symmetrically-arranged Art Deco colonial-style luxury flats, which were designed by H J Mark for the Courtenay Property Company Ltd and built in 1935/6 on former farmland. The 3-storey green-roofed, white-walled buildings are arranged in three groupings, set back some 200ft from the main road with rectangular and L-shaped blocks, between which are ornamental gardens. To the front are Boulevard Gardens, two areas of public gardens either side of the entrance to Pinner New Cemetery (q.v.), laid out with a low retaining wall to the pavement and backed by shrubs to the private housing behind. Pleasantly landscaped, the garden consists of lawn, some flower beds, shrubbery with seating and a linear path. Steps lead up from the public gardens into the private courtyards, which have lawn and shrubbery, ornamented with a pair of obelisks 'a la moderne'.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed) p289; LB Harrow Conservation/Planning report.