|Byron Recreation Ground||Harrow|
Byron Recreation Ground is named after Lord Byron who was educated at Harrow School. The original layout of the park included a pavilion and bandstand, no longer in existence. It has tarmac paths around its perimeter and various walks, with trees, shrubberies and some formal beds near the entrance. A line of Lombardy poplars marks the eastern boundary of the park along the iron railings abutting Wealdstone Cemetery.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.harrow.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Byron Recreation Ground was probably laid out at around the same time as Wealdstone Cemetery (q.v.), which opened in 1902, since the entrance gates to both have brick and stone banded gate piers and gates, and the gatehouse at the entrance of the park was originally the Cemetery Superintendent's residence. The station was opened as Harrow Station in 1837 when Wealdstone was still a village, and the area to the west of the recreation ground was developed gradually from the 1850s as Harrow Park estate was laid out. Industrial development began in the late C19th with the suburban housing accelerating from the interwar period. The original layout of the park included a pavilion and bandstand, no longer in existence. The park has tarmac paths around its perimeter and various walks, with trees, shrubberies and some formal beds near the entrance. A line of Lombardy poplars is along the iron railings abutting Wealdstone Cemetery on the eastern boundary of the park.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed)