Grovefields is a steep grassy slope on one side of Harrow Hill, rising up towards the parish church of St Mary's, where there was evidence of early medieval, or possibly earlier, agricultural use. The land here was part of the estate of Harrow Manor in the C11th and later part of Rectory Manor estate. Now public open space, it is traversed by tarmac paths with perimeter trees, and has fine views over Harrow. The hedged War Memorial is on the former site of the village pound.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.harrow.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Grove Open Space, or Grovefields, is a steep grassy slope on one side of Harrow Hill rising up towards St Mary's parish church (q.v.) at the top of the hill. There is evidence of early medieval, or possibly earlier, agricultural use on Harrow Hill in the form of 8 wide terraces or strip lynchets. Other archaeological discoveries here include a post-medieval earth mound at the top near the path that leads to the church and churchyard, as well as the sites of medieval ponds and sluice at the bottom of the hill, and the possible location of a medieval carriageway near the hedged War Memorial. This was erected after WWI in the corner of the site at the junction of Grove Hill and Lowlands Road, which until c.1920 was the site of the village pound.
The land here was once part of the estate of Harrow Manor, recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086 when it was owned by the Archbishop of Canterbury. In 1094 the manor was subdivided and it became part of Rectory Manor estate. The Rectory Manor House may have been located on The Grove, land that is now owned by Harrow School. In 1537 Rectory Manor was leased to Thomas Wriothsley, who became the Earl of Southampton, and who built fishponds in order to breed carp and to supply the house with water. The estate went through a succession of owners including Lord North, the Pitt family, and the Rushout family. The latter family became the Barons of Northwick who also owned the Manor of Flambards (q.v.). In 1805 the estate reputedly had pleasure grounds, woodland, ponds, lower gardens and kitchen gardens, and by 1865 most of the land was part of the Roxborough Estate.
The public open space today is traversed by tarmac paths, with perimeter trees, and fine views over Harrow from the top. A steel sculpture of a leaf has been erected in the north-west corner and symbolises the greenness of Harrow.
LB Harrow 'Roxborough Park and The Grove Conservation Area Policy Statement', 1995