|Paines Lane Cemetery||Harrow|
Paines Lane Cemetery opened in 1860, a modest cemetery without chapels or lodge and having a simple layout of cruciform walks. It was established here when efforts to enlarge Pinner's parish churchyard to provide burial ground for non-conformists failed. Among those buried here was Admiral Nelson's daughter Horatia. The cemetery was closed to burials in 1924.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.harrow.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Paines Lane is an old route existing from at least Tudor times. The cemetery opened in 1859/60 and was established here when efforts to enlarge Pinner's parish churchyard of St John's (q.v.) to provide burial ground for non-conformists were unsuccessful. The cemetery is walled on two sides with gate piers and iron gates topped with fleur-de-lys and flanking railings, but its low brick boundary wall along Paines Lane has lost its railings. It is laid out with a simple layout of cruciform walks, with no chapel of lodge, and among its trees are yews and a pair of cedars. Among the monuments is that of Admiral Nelson's daughter, Horatia Nelson Ward, who died at the age of 81. In 1859 she had come to live in Pinner near Tookes Green (q.v.) where one of her sons, Nelson Ward, was already living. Two of her children are buried with her including her daughter Eleanor, knocked down in Pinner High Street by a runaway horse. There is also a memorial to Ambrose Heal, of Heal's furniture shop, who lived in an Arts and Crafts style house on Moss Lane, The 5 Courts, built for him in 1910. The cemetery closed to burials in 1924.
C Webb revised ed of P Wolfston 'Greater London Cemeteries and Crematoria', Society of Genealogists, 1994; Joanne Verden 'Ten Walks Around Pinner', (The Pinner Association) 1999 ed.