|Pinner Hill Golf Course||Harrow|
Pinner Hill Golf Course was laid out in 1927 on the landscaped parkland of Pinner Hill House, the C18th house now the Clubhouse for Pinner Hill Golf Club, which was founded in 1928. There was an earlier house on the site in the 1630s, and among its owners were Lady Jane Brydges and A W Tooke. The estate was broken up for residential development after its sale in 1919. The pre-golf landscape character is predominantly C19th, but there are some remnants from the earlier period, including an icehouse near the house, as well as an old yew tree and C18th trees in the parkland.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/01/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.pinnerhillgc.com
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Pinner Hill Golf Course was laid out in 1927 on the landscaped grounds of Pinner Hill House. The first house here was built in the 1630s for Sir Christopher Clitherow, a City merchant, who is buried at St John the Baptist Church Pinner (q.v.). The present Pinner Hill House dates from the C18th, and the garden front was probably built for Lady Jane Brydges who lived here from 1755. From 1844 the Pinner Hill estate belonged to A W Tooke, an eccentric C19th landowner, who paid for the restoration of St John's Church. On Pinner Hill Road, the High Barn (LBII) is a surviving example of Tooke's characteristic estate improvements. From the earlier period, one exceptional old yew and an icehouse near the house survive, as well as C18th trees in the parkland, but by the 1970s a car park and a house had been built in the former walled garden. The pre-golf landscape character is predominantly C19th, with Scots pine, lime and horse chestnut trees, and some clumps. The approach from the south, now a private residential road, is still lined with many mature trees.
The estate was broken up for residential development after its sale in 1919. The 18-hole golf course was designed in 1927 by J H Taylor, a grand champion golfer, who was of the opinion that 'it would one of the finest, if not the finest, course around London' according to an advert for 'Golf at Pinner Hill' in Ideal Home magazine in December 1927. This also referred to the 'delightful old mansion on the estate, with its gardens and specimen trees' that was being converted as the club house. The estate's 'glorious scenery and wonderfully invigorating air' as well as 'its delightful views in all directions' were praised, and it was noted that 'a few sites adjoining the golfcourse are available for the erection of houses of character and distinction'. Pinner Hill Golf Club was formed in 1928 at the instigation of F L Griggs who became the Club’s first President. Apart from minor alterations, the course layout is still that of 1927.
Ken Kirkman 'A History of Pinner Hill House and Estate', Albury Enterprises, 1993; LB Harrow CA designation and policy statements; Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed), p288.