Wealdstone Cemetery was established by Roxeth Burial Board in 1902, the first burial taking place on 8 November in that year. The boundary with Byron Recreation Ground is hedged, and the cemetery's original stone and brick banded gate piers and entrance gates are of the same design as those at the recreation ground entrance. The Cemetery Superintendent's house was originally the gatehouse at the entrance to the recreation ground on Stuart Road. Serpentine tarmaced paths run through the cemetery, which has some scattered trees and a number of flower beds, with gravestones and monuments set in grass.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.harrow.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The name Wealdstone originated from a Sarson stone set into the pavement in front of the Red Lion at Harrow Weald, possibly of pre-Roman date, and may have marked the boundary between the villages of Harrow and Waldis, later Harrow Weald. Wealdstone was created as a new parish out of the Harrow Weald parish in 1881. The small burial ground is situated between Byron Recreation Ground (q.v.) and the back gardens of Kenton Avenue, with a row of evergreen trees along the east boundary. There is vehicular access through the recreation ground to the cemetery gates.
Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993)