London Gardens Online
Record
London Gardens Online

SITE DETAILS

Fairkytes Havering

Summary

Originally part of the same estate as Langtons, Fairkytes was built in the late C17th, with additional work carried out in the C18th and C19th. The first occupant was Job Alibone, whose son Sir Richard Alibone (d.1688) was the first Catholic to be a Justice of the King's Bench. Occupants in the C19th included Joseph Fry, son of prison reformer and Quaker Elizabeth Fry. A mound still found in the garden was built in Victorian times, apparently to enable the children of the house to see what was happening in the next door Langtons gardens. Hornchurch UDC, having acquired Langtons in 1929, then purchased Fairkytes in 1951 although its garden was not fully incorporated into Langtons pleasure garden. The Council used Fairkytes as a library from 1953 and since 1972 it has been the home of Havering Art Centre.

Basic Details

Previous / Other name:
Havering Art Centre

Site location:
51 Billet Lane, Hornchurch

Postcode:
RM11 1AX ( Google Map)

Type of site:
Public Gardens

Date(s):
C18th

Designer(s):

Listed structures:
LBII: Fairkytes House

Borough:
Havering

Site ownership:
LB Havering

Site management:
Leisure & Cultural Services

Open to public?
Yes

Opening times:
Open to users of the art centre, 10am-10.30pm weekdays, daytime at weekends. Open for Open House

Special conditions:

Facilities:
Numerous arts and community facilities

Events:
Open for Open House

Public transport:
Tube: Hornchurch (District). Rail: Emerson Park. Bus: 193, 248, 252, 256, 324, 348, 370, 373

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.havering.gov.uk

Further Information

Grid ref:
TQ538874

Size in hectares:

Green Flag:
No

On EH National Register :
No

EH grade:
None

Site on EH Heritage at Risk list:
No

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
Yes

In Conservation Area:
Yes

Conservation Area name:
Langtons

Tree Preservation Order:
Not known

Nature Conservation Area:
No

Green Belt:
No

Metropolitan Open Land:
No

Special Policy Area:
No

Other LA designation:
None

Fuller information

Originally part of the same estate as Langtons (q.v.), references to which date back to 1520, Fairkytes house was built in the late C17th as a private residence. The house had additional work carried out to it in the C18th and C19th. The first occupant was Job Alibone, an officer of the London Post Office, whose son Sir Richard Alibone was the first Catholic to be a Justice of the King's Bench. He died in 1688 and is commemorated by a monument in Dagenham Parish Church of St Peter's and St Paul's (q.v.). Occupants in the C19th included Joseph Fry, son of prison reformer and Quaker Elizabeth Fry who had strong connections in this area of London. He lived here from 1870 until his death in 1896. Joseph, his wife and their children undertook much philanthropic work, particularly daughter Augusta who worked for the Elizabeth Fry Refugee Fund in Hackney on behalf of women prisoners and then in the 1870s worked towards mitigating the hardship of people in France during the Franco-Prussian War. A mound that still exists in the garden at Fairkytes was built in Victorian times, apparently to enable the children of the house to see what was happening in the next door Langtons gardens.

Hornchurch Urban District Council, having acquired the adjacent Langtons in 1929, then purchased Fairkytes in 1951 although the garden was not fully incorporated into Langtons pleasure garden. The Council has used Fairkytes as a library from 1953 and since 1972 it has been the home of Havering Arts Centre.

Sources consulted:

Sydney Porter, Hornchurch UDC - Report on Parks and Recreation Grounds, September 1961; Hornchurch's Heritage, LB Havering booklet, 1999; John Drury, 'Treasures of Havering', Ian Henry Publications, 1998

Page Top

Discover. Visit. Research. Explore.