|Hall Lane Mini Golf Course||Havering|
The land north of Upminster remained rural into the C20th. As house building gradually took place on the east side of Hall Lane, the site of Hall Lane Miniature Golf Course remained open land and was in use as a private 9-hole golf course before WWII. It was acquired by the War Department for an Assault Course during the war, after which it was purchased by Upminster Council who laid out the 18-hole miniature golf course in 1950/51. By this time the site was surrounded by housing. At the northern boundary was a large copse of trees and there remain mature oak and ash at the eastern end where a field pond was levelled; the golf course is well planted with numerous trees of various species.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.havering.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The land north of Upminster town centre remained rural into the C20th, and the site of Hall Lane Miniature Golf Course is shown as a field on OS Map of Essex of 1921, remaining as open land as house building gradually took place on the east side of Hall Lane beyond Courtenay Gardens in the interwar period. By 1938 The Fairway was partially built on the northern side of the site, with Ingrebourne Gardens built to the south and Holden Way to the east. Its use as a golf course predated WWII when it was in private ownership and laid out as a 9-hole golf course. During the war it was acquired by the War Department for use as an Assault Course. Following the war Upminster Council purchased the land and laid out the 18-hole miniature golf course in 1950/51, the second such course to be constructed in the borough. The brochure of Council sports and recreation facilities of 1961 described Hall Lane Miniature Golf Course as 'an attractive well-used Course amid very pleasant and picturesque surroundings'. The Council began to fence the site, in 1952/3 a water supply was provided and by 1955/6 the fencing on the north side was completed. A pond in the south-east corner was levelled in 1961/2 and a main drain laid on the south side. By 1965 the small building near the entrance is shown on the OS Map, and the Council brochure for 1970 lists new facilities to be provided in 1971 as a messroom, toilets and ticket kiosk. At the northern boundary was a large copse of trees and there remain mature oak and ash at the eastern end, with trees of numerous species now planted on the course. Near the west boundary a children's pitch and putt course has been laid out.
Hornchurch UDC: Report on Parks and Recreation Grounds, Sydney Porter, September 1961; Brochure on Parks and Recreation Grounds 1970