|Havering Village Green||Havering|
Havering Atte Bower was once the location of the Royal Palace of Havering used by the monarchy from pre-Norman Conquest until 1620. Havering Village Green was acquired as public open space by Romford UDC in 1935 and is largely grass, overlooked by the parish church of St John the Evangelist. The late C17th/early C18th double stocks and whipping post used to stand in the south-east corner of the green, and were restored in 1966, having part of the original ironwork. The ducking pool used to be across North Road, a hollow in the ground indicating where it was. A row of horse chestnut trees was planted during Coronation Year 1953 and a seat installed near the west side as a further commemoration. The Green has been used for all manner of village activities over many years.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.havering.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Havering Atte Bower retains its village atmosphere and was once the location of the Royal Palace of Havering used by the monarchy from pre-Norman Conquest until 1620. The Liberty of Havering was granted in the C13th. The Green has been used for all manner of village activities over many years, and is still used for fairs and fetes. A row of horse chestnut trees was planted during Coronation Year 1953 and a seat was installed near the west side as a further commemoration of the coronation. Adjacent to the west of the Green is St John the Evangelist parish church (q.v). The Green was acquired as public open space by Romford Urban District Council in 1935 and is largely grass, crossed by paths. The late C17th/early C18th double stocks and whipping post used to stand in the south east corner of the green, and in 1966 were restored although part of the ironwork is original. The ducking pool used to be to the east across North Road but no longer exists although a hollow in the ground indicates where it was. A row of late C18th timber-framed cottages and former forge are on the north side of the Green. The Dame Tipping School was built on the Green in 1724 to cater for '20 poor children', founded by Lady Ann Tipping of Pyrgo; the present building dates from 1891.
Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Arthur Mee 'The King's England: London North of the Thames except the City and Westminster' (Hodder & Stoughton Ltd, 1972); Countryside Footpaths in Havering, Northern Area, leaflet (LB Havering, 1985); The Parks Agency 'Commons, Heaths and Greens in Greater London. A short report for English Heritage', 2005; Paul Drury Partnership for LB Havering, 'Havering Atte Bower Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Proposals', c.2006.