Crow Lane or Romford Cemetery was established by the Romford Burial Board in 1871 when space ran out in the parochial cemetery. The cemetery was taken over by Romford UDC in 1900 and is now run by South Essex Crematorium. It remains partially enclosed by its C19th railings, with ragstone gate-piers and two ragstone chapels joined by a gothic porte-cochère. The cemetery contains utilitarian monuments, with older graves near the chapels, and trees include holly, cedar and flowering cherry, rows of common lime and horse chestnut.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.havering.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The cemetery at Crow Lane, Rush Green was established by the Romford Burial Board in 1871 when space ran out in the parochial cemetery, which is now the site of Coronation Gardens (q.v.). Crow Lane or Romford Cemetery was taken over by Romford Urban District Council in 1900. It is partially enclosed by C19th railings with ragstone gate-piers and two ragstone chapels, a Church of England chapel and a Non-Conformist chapel joined by a gothic porte-cochère. The two chapels underwent considerable renovation and redecoration in the 1960s. There is also a Chapel of Remembrance and Books of Remembrance which each covered a period of 4 months. In 1971 the cemetery staff included a foreman, gravedigger, gardeners and assistant gardeners and a part-time pensioner watchman. The cemetery contains utilitarian monuments with mown grass and some planting, including holly, cedar and flowering cherry, and rows of common lime and horse chestnut. A number of graves around the chapel are quite old and neglected. Scrub of hazel, hawthorn, elm and cherry occurs adjacent to the allotment gardens and the field to the south.
Victoria County History of Essex, volume VII, p.81; Recreation and Amenities Brochure 1970