|St Michael and All Angels, Gidea Park||Havering|
In 1928 St Michael's Mission Church was built here close to the new Romford Garden Suburb, which was developed between 1910 and 1930s on land once part of the former Gidea Park Estate. In 1931 it was decided to create a new parish of Gidea Park, prior to which the area had been within that of All Saints Squirrels Heath. The parish was established in 1933 and St Michael and All Angels was consecrated in 1938. The red brick building is set within grounds, and fronted by gardens. The Mission Church became the Bishop Chadwick Hall, one of a number of halls within the grounds.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.church-stmichael.org
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
St Michael's Mission Church was built in 1928 close to the new Romford Garden Suburb (q.v.) at Gidea Park, which had been built from 1910/11 - 1930s on land once part of the former Gidea Park Estate. Remnants of the C18th landscape remain within the garden suburb and adjacent parks. The new suburb was intended as ‘a model of good building and design for all the new suburbs growing up round London’. In 1931 it was decided to create a new parish of Gidea Park, prior to which the area had been within that of All Saints Squirrels Heath. The parish of St Michael's Gidea Park was established in 1933 and a new parish church was built, designed by Crowe and Careless architects, and consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Chelmsford on 21 May 1938. It is a fine red brick building set within its own pleasant gardens, reached from a driveway off the Main Road. The Mission church became the Bishop Chadwick Hall, one of a number of halls within the church grounds.
St Michael & All Angels website