|Upminster Golf Course||Havering|
Upminster Golf Course and Upminster Hall Playing Field are on land formerly part of the Upminster Hall estate, former hunting seat of the Abbots of Waltham Abbey. The timber-framed Hall is now the clubhouse of Upminster Golf Club, founded in 1928, which acquired the freehold of the Hall and 6.5 acres in 1935. Former gardens in front of the house are now laid out as the 1st and 18th holes of the golf course. A bowling green was laid out behind the clubhouse in 1949.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.upminstergolfclub.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Upminster was originally called Chafford, possibly derived from 'St Chad's Ford' after the missionary brothers St Chad and St Cedd who brought Christianity to Essex in c. AD670. Upminster Golf Course and Upminster Hall Playing Field are on land that was formerly part of the estate of Upminster Hall, once the hunting seat of the Abbots of Waltham Abbey. It was one of 17 manors given to the Abbots by King Harold. At the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the C16th Henry VIII granted Upminster Hall to Thomas Cromwell, following whose execution the estate passed through various illustrious owners, the last private resident being Major Godfrey Pike. Chapman and Andre’s map of 1777 shows formal gardens to the east of the house and plantations in the north. Upminster Hall, a largely C15th/C16th timber-framed building, with later additions made over the years including a c.C17th north wing, is now the clubhouse of the Upminster Golf Club. Founded in 1928, the Golf Club initially leased the Hall and 6.5 acres of land but later acquired the freehold in 1935. The former gardens in front of the house are now laid out as the 1st and 18th holes of the golf course and some trees survive including mature horse chestnut, ilex and oak. Behind the clubhouse is a bowling green that the Golf Club constructed in 1949, now The Upminster Bowling Club.
For many years the adjacent land that is now occupied by Upminster Hall Playing Field (q.v.) was leased for an agricultural depot, but when Upminster Estates were being developed it was decided that recreational facilities should be provided. As a result 6.5 acres were reinstated as grassland in 1957, with a further 6 acres added in 1958/9. An avenue of mature horse chestnut and walnut trees divides the two pieces of land and new trees have been planted.
Adjacent to the Golf Club boundary and separated from the Playing Field by woodland is a late C14th/C15th Tithe Barn with nine bays, described as ‘a masterpiece of medieval timber construction’. Close to the main drive of Upminster Hall, it was probably used by monks from Waltham Abbey. Recently re-thatched, the barn has been turned into a museum of agricultural and local history, the Museum of Nostalgia.
Victoria County History; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993) p929; Arthur Mee 'The King's England: London North of the Thames except the City and Westminster' (Hodder & Stoughton 1972); Hornchurch UDC: Report on Parks and Recreation Grounds, Sydney Porter, September 1961