The garden was the centre of an irregular circle of villas, which were built by 1863 on the Marquess of Northampton's Canonbury Estate. Originally named Canonbury Park Square, it was renamed Alwyne Square in 1879. The central garden was described in 1928 as having a low wall with iron railings, planted with grass, bushes and trees. Following bomb damage in WWII, the square was rebuilt in 1954 by the developers Western Ground Rents, designed by their surveyor Nash, and now consists of small blocks of flats, and rows of terraced houses. Only one of the original houses remains. The garden contains grass, with some mature horse chestnut trees, and is surrounded by modern railings.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
In 1837 the builder Charles Hamor Hill had taken the lease of Canonbury Tower from the Marquess of Northampton, with a licence to build three roads in the open land between Hopping Lane, Canonbury Terrace and New River, to have the layout completed by 1845 and the houses completed by 1858. In December 1857 he got permission to build on the land adjacent to Canonbury Park North, one of his new roads. He sold the development to Henry Witten in 1859 who completed Canonbury Park Square in 1863. Its name was changed to Alwyne Square in 1879 probably to avoid confusion with Canonbury Square, Alwyne being one of the Marquess of Northampton's subsidiary family names. Originally there was one entrance from Canonbury Park North.
Mary Cosh, The Squares of Islington Part II: Islington Parish, London, 1993; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993)