Andersons Square is on the site of a non-conformist burial ground established by Revd Evan John Jones in 1817, part of which appears to have already been in use as a burial ground. Jones Burial Ground became known as 'New Bunhill Fields Burial Ground' and was in use until 1854. Part of the site was concreted over for Andersons Timber Yard, hence the name given to the new square. When the area was being developed for private housing in the 1990s, the burial ground was exhumed. Andersons Square comprises flats overlooking landscaped gardens, laid out for the private for use of residents although there is public access as a requirement of planning permission.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Revd. Evan John Jones purchased No. 5 Church Row in 1817 and converted the rear garden and paddock for a nonconformist burial ground. The earlier use of part of the site for a burial ground may have been connected to Islington Chapel, which dated from 1788 and was itself built on nursery ground, although the chapel opened in 1815. Jones Burial Ground became known as 'New Bunhill Fields Burial Ground' and by the time it closed in 1854 between 12,000 and 17,000 burials appear to have taken place on the c.1acre site. Part of the burial ground was concreted over when it became Andersons Timber Yard, hence the name given to the new square.
When the area was being developed for private housing by Grove Manor in the 1990s, the burial ground was exhumed, and the remains were reburied in LB Islington's Trent Park Cemetery in Cockfosters (q.v.). An archaeological dig by Museum of London Archaeological Services revealed a hoard of some 1,470 coffin plates here, and coffins were stacked 7 deep in places. Not all the burial ground site has been developed for housing and its boundary to the south west stretched to Upper Street, and further graves may remain in this area. The housing development of Andersons Square comprises flats overlooking new landscaped gardens by Andrews, Downie Partners. Landscaping includes various features such as circular pond, pergola/shelter with seating, gravel paths, areas of grass and variety of shrubs and other plants. There is no indication of the site's previous use as a burial ground.
In 1997 the developers decided to commission a sculpture for the new garden and through the Royal Society of Sculptors selected 3 sculptors for a limited competition, which was won by John Roberts who had previously made a stone angel for Lincoln Cathedral and has sculptures at Westminster Abbey. His bronze 'Angel on the Green' was unveiled by the Mayor of Islington in 1999.
Museum of London Archaeological Services (MOLAS) report - extracts of information from Derek Sealey, MOLAS. Newspaper cutting.