|Battishill Street Gardens||Islington|
Battishill Street Gardens were opened by Sir John Betjamin in 1975, but the site is of historic interest for the C19th stone frieze installed within the gardens. It was originally made for the Hall of Commerce in Threadneedle Street, which was demolished in 1922. It was given to Islington Council in 1974 for erection in the new Battishill Gardens.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.islington.gov.uk/services/parks-environment/parks/your_parks/greenspace_az
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Click photo to enlarge.
The stone frieze in the gardens is by Musgrove Watson (1804-1847) who was responsible for the bronze reliefs at the base of Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square (q.v.). It was originally made for the Hall of Commerce in Threadneedle Street, which was demolished in 1922. It was later housed in University College until it was given to LB Islington in 1974 by Sir Albert Richardson for erection in the new Battishill Street Gardens, where it forms the wall of a paved area with seating. The gardens in front of Napier Terrace are surrounded by railings and have grass, beds of white roses, shrubs and trees, with a path that leads to the paved area where the frieze is situated. A plaque records the opening of the gardens by Sir John Betjamin and the history of the frieze.
To the north of the gardens is Waterloo Terrace, rebuilt in 1987, but formerly the land was once part of the botanic garden of Dr William Pitcairn, President of the Royal College of Physicians between 1775 and 1785.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998); Michael Whitacker lecture notes; Mary Cosh 'Barnsbury' (London) 1981.